Meow— Gary's most common line
Gerald "Gary" Wilson Jr. is a snail owned by SpongeBob. He is Patrick's 1st cousin, and the sixth or seventh main character of the show, with the fifth most appearances in the series.
He is a domesticated house pet with similar mannerisms to a cat, but has royal blood, as seen in the episode, "Rule of Dumb." In "Rule of Dumb," the royal family tree proves that Gary and Patrick are cousins, as their fathers were brothers.
Gary is known for his characteristic "meow"—in contrast to the barking of the sea worms, suggesting that snails (like Gary) are equivalent to our cats and that worms are equivalent to our dogs. It has been known for Gary to say things other than "meow", but this is unusual. In "Your Shoe's Untied," "Frozen Face-Off," "Squid Defense" and "The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water", he is shown to be able to roar, and he screeches like a cat in "The Thing," "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?" and "Grooming Gary." From Season 4 onwards, Gary has made cat sound effects when he is startled or angry, to further reinforce the connection between snails and cats. In "Opposite Day," Gary reverses this stereotype, barking like a dog.
In many episodes, it has been indicated that Gary has great intelligence (for snails at least). In "The Secret Box," Gary responded to SpongeBob's question with "Meow-no." SpongeBob did not think much of it and replied, "Aww, what do you know? You're a snail!" SpongeBob did not recognize it as special, perhaps meaning that it was not the first time that Gary spoke. In "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie," the Bikini Bottomites were chanting "all hail Plankton," while Gary chanted monotonously "meow, Plankton." He may even be more intelligent than all the main characters (excluding Plankton), which is hinted to in "Sleepy Time," where Gary spoke in his dream (that SpongeBob was rudely interrupting) and sounded very old and wise. In the episode "Tutor Sauce," Gary is shown to be a good driver, as he is able to drive through the most dangerous road in Bikini Bottom, with no issue whatsoever (except the cops stopping the boat). He had an extensive library, which is a possible metaphor for intelligence.
It is suggested that SpongeBob had Gary when he lived with his parents as a really young boy. The episode "Treats!" reveals that Gary was adopted. As seen in "Gary Takes a Bath," Gary can levitate and teleport, possibly meaning that psychic powers run in the Star family, as Patrick has psychic abilities. Gary did not appear again after "Help Wanted" until the episodes "Plankton!" and "Naughty Nautical Neighbors." Gary has been to many places including the large Bass Vegas.
Gary had a minor role in the episode "Atlantis SquarePantis." Gary appears wearing a party hat and blowing on a paper horn. Gary is also a very good musician, although he was not part of Squidward's band in the episode "Band Geeks." In "The Paper," he played Squidward's clarinet very well, and Squidward gets confused. In "Procrastination," Gary played the trumpet. In "Something Smells," Gary played the violin to make SpongeBob cry while chopping onions because SpongeBob told him to.
Gary has the strange ability to become a floor buffer, as shown in "Sentimental Sponge."
Gary hates taking baths, as seen in "Gary Takes a Bath," "Pet Sitter Pat," and "Shellback Shenanigans." In "Pet Sitter Pat," Patrick wants to wash Gary, and later used a hose to do so. In Gary Takes a Bath, SpongeBob used many methods like Free Dollar, Boomerang Pet Ball, subliminal messages, etc.
BiographyEditAdded by Drillbit TaylorWorms and snails don't go together.Added by SpongeBob EditPants
Information regarding Gary's early life is limited to that he lived with SpongeBob while the later lived in his parents' house, which is implied in "Home Sweet Pineapple." Also, younger SpongeBob and young Gary are featured in SpongeBob's scrapbook in the episode "Have You Seen This Snail?" Also, in the episode "Treats!!", it is revealed that SpongeBob got Gary from the pound when they were both quite young.
In the episode "Rule of Dumb", it is revealed that Gary is the rightful king of Bikini Bottom and Patrick's cousin, although interestingly snails and starfish are very far off from each other on the evolutionary line. However, this is common in Bikini Bottom - Mr. Krabs has the sperm whale Pearl as a daughter. in conclusion, all characters are stupid except SpongeBob and Gary.
Added by SeacactusSpongeBob has taken the ownership of Gary for some time. Gary is an intelligent, fully domesticated snail. His intelligence shines through in the fact that he has more intelligent solutions to SpongeBob's dilemmas than SpongeBob himself. Gary tends to disagree with some of SpongeBob's ideas, and usually makes an effort to warn him. Gary is generally shown to find SpongeBob oblivious, ignorant and annoying, yet still willingly tolerates him (probably due to the fact that SpongeBob takes care of him), and in many episodes, it is shown that he cares a lot about SpongeBob.
In "Have You Seen This Snail?", Gary runs away from SpongeBob when he fails to feed him because SpongeBob was addicted to the official Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Paddle Ball Set. Gary wanders aimlessly in search of a home, venturing into the dangerous inner city, until he is found by an elderly woman who pampers and overfeeds him, and renames him Ms. Tuffsy. However, he eventually discovers her horrible secret: she is a snail killer (he is told this by another, half-dead snail in a parody of Hansel and Gretel, along with possibly one hundred empty snail shells he finds in a closet)! Gary narrowly escapes from her, and upon learning of SpongeBob's desperate efforts to find him, realizes that SpongeBob does indeed love him and has learned the error of his ways, and goes back to him.
Gary speaks mostly with cat-like meowing (except on one occasion, where he roared instead of meowing), although SpongeBob is shown to understand what Gary is saying, which is shown to be a very rare trait in the show in comparison to the other main characters. Gary has only been heard speaking English three times: Once in "Sleepy Time" in his own dream, once in "Secret Box" where he says "Err...No.". The third time was in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, when Gary is under the control of Plankton's mind-controlling bucket helmets, he chants "Meow Plankton."
Gary has a blue body and green-yellow slime and eye stalks, big green eyes, red irises and black pupils, (However,in the pilot episode Help Wanted, his eyes stalks appear much smaller and with small red dots, being the irises. However, in the next episode Bubblestand, he appear as his current look now. Also in the pilot episode, Gary seems to be much smaller than he normally is) and a orange/pink-peach shell with purple spots and red swirl and a large tumor in his lower stomach area. He has what looks like to be a room under his shell, which he has said to have had a New Years Eve party, and in which SpongeBob can enter to clean and tidy up.
- SpongeBob readily admits, on several accounts like in Jellyfish Hunter, that Gary pays most of his bills.
- SpongeBob has been shown on numerous occasions to frequently fail to feed Gary; this fact features in the episodes "Clams", "Have You Seen This Snail?", "Doing Time" and "I Was a Teenage Gary".
- In "The Great Snail Race", it is revealed that Gary isn't a purebred snail. This is probably due to the fact that his father, Sluggo, is a leech.
- In "Rule of Dumb", it is revealed that he and Patrick are related. According to the family tree given in that episode, they are first cousins.
- In "SpongeBob's Last Stand", Gary is shown to have ten toes.
- In "Shell Shocked", Gary's shell was broken, and was seen with a hideous bruise on him. But in other episodes, he is seen without his shell, but is perfectly fine.
- The inside of Gary's shell is shown to have various appearances.
- Gary resembles a cat as how SpongeBob resemble a human and worms are like dogs.
- Gary's favorite food is Snail Nibbles.
- He has had a few crushes and one relationship.
- He is Familiar to Spunky in Rocko's Modern Life.
- In All that Glitters, it is shown that Gary has a large diamond under his shell.
- In Your Shoe's Untied, it is shown that Gary has a record player under his shell.
- In The Inside Job, it is revealed that Brain Gary lives in SpongeBob's brain.
- Gary's favorite food is Snail-Po which SpongeBob once tasted.
- Also in Your Shoe's Untied, Gary is revealed to have feet.
- Gary can say the words "Plankton","yeah!" and "No"
- Also to illustrate Gary's antagonism towards Squidward, in I Was a Teenage Gary, when SpongeBob answers the door, to Squidward, holding Gary, Gary hisses at him.
- Gary has arms as seen in Have You Seen This Snail?, The Gift of Gum, and Grooming Gary.
- According to the episodes, Gary Takes a Bath and Rock-a-Bye Bivalve, Gary can read because in the episode Rock-a-Bye Bivalve he is seen reading the newspaper, and in Gary Takes a Bath he is seen reading a book called "Snail Jokes". He was also reading a book called "Snail Tales" to Patrick at the end of "Pet Sitter Pat," although due to Gary's lack of English, Patrick could not understand him, as explained when he said "Snail Tales? I thought it was called 'Meow Meow Meow.'"
- Gary is shown to have many things hidden under his shell; a house, SpongeBob's Krabby Patty T-shirt, a record player, a diamond, and many other pieces of junk.
- In the episode "Treats!", it is revealed that Gary's full name is "Gary Wilson Jr."
- Gary the Snail talks and it's voiced by Chiara Zanni.
Gary Focused EpisodesEdit
Gary has had several episodes that are centered around him or related to him, here they are listed.
- "I Was a Teenage Gary": Gary is the main character in the beginning and middle. At the end, it belongs to SpongeSnail.
- "Dumped": Gary runs away home to Patrick in order to get the cookie out of his pocket than be with SpongeBob.
- "Gary Takes a Bath":Gary tries to escape SpongeBob's plans to get him to take a bath.
- "The Great Snail Race": SpongeBob becomes a strict coach and is obsessed in winning the race trophy with Gary's body.
- "Have You Seen This Snail?": Gary runs away from home after not being fed and is taken in by an old lady only to find out she wants to feed him to death. 
- "Once Bitten": Gary is infected by Squidward's lousy wooden log, and bites Bikini Bottomites including SpongeBob.
- "Fungus Among Us": Although Gary isn't the main protagonist, he does make the solution by eating away the Ick.
- "Grooming Gary": SpongeBob gives Gary a makeover and take him to the Bikini Bottom Pet Show but Gary doesn't like it, neither does the other competitors.
- "Shell Shocked": Gary's shell has broken and SpongeBob needs to find him a new one.
- "Gary in Love": Gary falls in love with a snail called Mary.
- "Treats!": Gary becomes addicted with a new snail treat called Snail Bites.
- "Gary's New Toy": Gary is obsessed with a red ball.
Rivalry with Squidward TentaclesEdit
- In "I Was a Teenage Gary," the ignorant Squidward lied to SpongeBob that he would feed Gary, who nearly died of hunger and thirst.
- In "The Great Snail Race," he raced against Squidward's snail Snellie.
- In "Once Bitten," Squidward made lots and lots of Anti-Snail wooden logs. A log got inside Gary's foot and he got a splinter. Gary went out of control because the splinter or log really hurt, and bit Squidward.
- In "The Thing," it is revealed that Gary attacked Squidward and nearly killed Squidward too. When Squidward turned into the thing, Gary nearly killed Squidward again.
- In "Can You Spare a Dime?", Gary calls Squidward a big loser as Squidward calls him other bad names.
- In "Patty Caper," when SpongeBob blames Gary for supposedly stealing the secret ingredient to the Krabby Patty, Gary describes another suspect—Squidward, and, based on the picture Patrick had drawn of him, Gary must think Squidward is very ugly.
- In "Ugh," Squidward's prehistoric ancestor Squog and Gary's prehistoric ancestor Prehistoric Gary fight because of Prehistoric Gary's slime trails in front of his house.
- In Little Yellow Book He bites Squidward's tentacle as he was saying horrible words.
Meow. (Every episode)
(Talks in a high pitched male voice in every episode)
Meow Plankton! (Under the mind control helmet by Plankton)
"Did you think my shell was full of hot air?"